Foundation Training is a Board & Train program that sets a solid framework for your dog. He or she will reside at our location for 4 weeks or 6 weeks, while focusing on manners training, leadership training, proper socialization, behavioural training, and general obedience. The program is geared towards dogs who don't exhibit serious behavioural issues, but require structure and leadership to live happy, balanced lives.
Daily routine and structure is implemented to provide stability, so your dog feels comfortable and content. Well-balanced dogs that feel secure in their environment, routine, and day-to-day lives, find it much easier to weather any changes or upsets that may come along from time to time, either planned for or unexpected.
The program is tailored to both your goals as well as the needs of your dog. Since every dog is different and unique in their own ways, we will use the most effective tools and techniques that work best with your dog. When used correctly, they will help you to effectively communicate with your dog in a clear manner and solidify a relationship built on respect and trust.
Your dog will be trained in all types of real life, practical situations, both inside our location and outdoors. The training outdoors will allow your dog to walk nicely on a loose leash, while being exposed to people, dogs, cars, and other distractions within various settings. Your dog will learn to maintain a calm state of mind, which will allow him to be manageable and compliant, to then be able to observe and learn new situations in a healthy and balanced manner.
During your dog's stay, he or she will receive a daily dose of training, exercise, rest, and play, practicing proper manners and socialization amongst a controlled, balanced pack of dogs. The first few days begin at low intensity, where your dog will adjust to his or her new environment and settle in. After the initial warm-up period, your dog will be trained multiple times a day on obedience commands, general manners and as well as targeted behaviour modification.
Many clients find our program to be the jump start they need in accomplishing their training goals. By setting a good foundation, while incorporating structure, rules and boundaries, we're able to reshape your dog's state of mind that will result in better choices made by your dog.
The goal is to have a happy, compliant member of the family.
This program includes the following:
- An in-home consultation / assessment, to evaluate your dog's behaviour, determine your priorities, and design a custom training plan.
- An in-home lesson during each week of the program.
- A lesson on the day of drop-off, where we will transfer to you all of the training information, techniques, and strategies to maintain continued success.
- A follow-up lesson 1 week after drop-off.
- A final follow-up lesson 2 weeks after drop-off.
- Pick-up and drop-off included.
During the above in-home lessons, we will cover Theory, Practice and Implementation. Your dog will be exposed to his old environment, but with new rules and behaviours. You will be updated on your dog's progress and learn various training techniques. Additional hourly training packages are recommended to further maintain the training, but are not included in this program's packaged price.
This program is ideal for the following:
Things your dog will learn include the following:
- Newly rescued dogs
- Puppies between the age of 8 to 16 weeks
- Dogs with no prior training
- Dogs who need a general behaviour tune up
- Dogs of any age, breed, size, or temperament
This program will also address minor behavioural issues such as the following:
- Respect and compliance of handler
- General manners
- Remaining calm
- Threshold manners (doors, car, crate, stairs, etc.)
- Door manners when guests arrive
- Reliable recall training (come when called)
- Confidence building
- Crate training
- Waiting for food
- Basic obedience
- Place command
- Drop it or Out command
- Loose leash walking
- Pack walks (between 3 to 6 dogs)
- Off-leash pack hikes
- Proper dog-to-dog interaction and etiquette
- Sharing of resources (bones, balls, and water) amongst other dogs
- Fetching ball with pack of dogs
- Environmental socialization
- Behaving nicely in car rides
- Treadmill training
- Bicycle training (weather permitting)
- And more
- Jumping up on people
- Mouthing / nipping
- Excessive barking / whining
- Not dropping things when told
- Running out the door
- And any other minor problems
For severe behavioural issues, please see Board & Train: Behaviour Rehabilitation
Does this program work? It sure does, provided the following:
- The owner's dedication to implement and follow through with the techniques taught.
- The decision to change to the new way of communicating with the dog, so that bad habits don't return.
- Maintaining the training taught on a daily basis to achieve lasting results.
- Consistency and persistence from all family members to practice the same methodology.
- Training collar
- 6-foot nylon training leash
- 25-foot nylon long line
- Box of 24 tartar bones
- Treat bag
Once your dog has completed this program, he is always welcome at our location for boarding, as long as you book in advance. In addition, refresher courses are available and recommended to maintain your dog's training.
All prices include taxes.
Back to Services
- 4-week Program: $3600
- Includes: In-home consultation, 5 in-home lessons, pick-up/drop-off, and above complimentary items
- 6-week Program: $4800
- Includes: In-home consultation, 7 in-home lessons, pick-up/drop-off, and above complimentary items